Sunday 13 November 2005

Winter has arrived

This morning, the whir of a strong wind surrounded my house and it darkened noticeably. Then the shriek of hungry birds filled my ears. Scrappy, my big orange tomcat, leapt onto the back of a chair near the living room window, and imitated the bird’s chirping. I looked out, and hundreds of tiny, hyperactive snowbirds swarmed about the mountain ash. In minutes, all the bright red berries clinging to thin empty branches disappeared. Then the birds moved on, leaving behind one more assurance winter has arrived.

1 comment:

Heather Smith said...

E,
I wish your snowbirds would inform the weatherman here that winter has arrived. NC weather is always weird. It was FREEZING last week. This week we're enjoying above 70 degree temps. How do you dress for such weather? Oh well. Nice pic!
Heather

Obstacles are those frightful things you see when

you

take your eyes off your goal.